Part of Virginia’s historic and picturesque Triangle Region, Ford’s Colony is an award-winning multi-generational community offering an exceptional quality of life in a scenic, laidback setting. The community encompasses over 3,000 acres, filled with top-quality features, amenities, and recreational opportunities for all ages and interests.
Living in Ford’s Colony offers the best of both worlds: a relaxed atmosphere while being only minutes away from Williamsburg’s amenities and best attractions. And with the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah Valley to the west, the beaches of Chesapeake Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east, unlimited outdoor recreation and travel opportunities are right within reach..
Interested in relocating to Ford’s Colony? This page gives you a closer look at what makes it one of the best places to call home in Virginia. Continue reading to learn more.
FORD’S COLONY, WILLIAMSBURG, VAAT A GLANCE
- Ford’s Colony encompasses approximately 3,000 acres and features 24-hour security and gated access with both electronic and manned gates. It currently has over 5,600 residents.
- Major roadways connecting Ford’s Colony to Williamsburg and other surrounding cities include Longhill Road, Centreville Road, and Humelsine Parkway.
- Established in 1985, the gated community currently consists of over 2,600 single-family homes, 80 townhomes, 24 condominium developments, and nearly 300 privately owned undeveloped lots.
- Ford’s Colony is overseen by the Ford’s Colony Homeowners Association (FCHOA), a self-governed group led by a board of directors. An on-site professional management company that reports directly to the board handles day-to-day operations in the community.
- Ford’s Colony operates under an annual budget of about $6 million, which is used towards the upkeep and maintenance of roads, common areas and facilities, walking trails, clubs, and recreational activities.
- Many residents of Ford’s Colony actively participate in a variety of organizations that benefit the local community including business organizations, healthcare, senior service organizations, and more.
- The master-planned community has earned numerous prestigious awards and accolades throughout the years. Some of the most notable ones include “#1 Master Plan in the Continental US” from the American Resort Development Association, “National Community Association Hall of Fame” from the Community Associations Institute, and “Community Association of the Year” in 2014 and 2018 from the Community Associations Institute’s Central Virginia Chapter.
- The community is located 15 minutes away from Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center, which offers a full range of medical care services and the latest healthcare technology.
Ford’s Colony is a terrific choice for families with children due to its proximity to several top-performing K-12 public and private schools. Public schools serving Ford’s Colony are fully accredited and served by the Williamsburg-James City County (WJCC) Public School District, one of the most highly acclaimed school districts in Virginia.
Some of the best schools serving Ford’s Colony include:
For residents interested in enrolling in higher education, Ford’s Colony is conveniently located close to Virginia Peninsula Community College, The College of William & Mary, and several universities and colleges in the Hampton Roads area.
HOMES FOR SALE IN FORD’S COLONY, WILLIAMSBURG, VA
Real estate at Ford’s Colony in Williamsburg, VA include low-key bungalows and condos, elegant townhomes, and single-family homes on the lake or along the well-manicured fairways of one of the community’s three beautiful golf courses. Different architectural styles abound, with the most popular being Colonial, Federal, Greek Revival, and Georgian styles. Most of the homes were built in the 80s and 90s, but new construction and lots are available as well for those planning to build a custom home.
Many homes are set on comfortably sized lots along side streets, tucked away from the main avenues. These are surrounded by hammocks of native trees, offering privacy and greenery. Streets within the master-planned community meander around the golf courses and across a landscape of wetlands, forests, and ponds, creating a stunning park-like living environment for residents.
Some common features you can find in many Ford’s Colony homes are:
- Meticulously manicured lots with spacious fenced yards
- Impeccably maintained interiors with flexible indoor/outdoor living spaces
- Stylish dining and living rooms with top-quality built-ins
- Spacious eat-in kitchens with large center islands and chef-grade stainless steel appliances
- Large bonus rooms perfect for use as a home office, guest room, or fitness studio
- Charming primary bedrooms with ensuite baths and spacious walk-in closets
- Sunrooms, patios, porches, and decks highlighted by breathtaking views
Start your search for the perfect home in Ford’s Colony today by browsing our selection of featured properties.
FORD’S COLONY, WILLIAMSBURG, VAAMENITIES
Convenience is part of the Ford’s Colony lifestyle: residents don’t need to head far to create cherished memories with family and friends. Most of the time, they don’t have to venture out of the community at all.
Below are the community’s main facilities and a list of amenities they offer:
St. Andrew’s Facility
- A 3,200-sq.-ft. multi-purpose room that can be partitioned into two individual sections
- Meeting rooms for club activities and other gatherings
- Patios with seating and outdoor grills available for private events
- Gazebo with tables and chairs
- 25-meter swimming pool and kids’ wading pool
- Two hard surface tennis courts
- Two pickleball courts
- Basketball court
- Playground area
Westbury Park Facility
- Open-air pavilion with picnic tables, grilles, and an indoor multi-purpose room
- 25-meter swimming pools with eight lanes, zero-depth entry, and a pool slide
- Volleyball court
- Six soft surface tennis courts
- Two basketball courts
- Bocce court
- Soccer field
- Softball diamond
- Playground area
Community Services Building
- 1,350-sq.-ft. exercise studio
- Rooms for club activities
- Meeting rooms
There’s plenty of space to play in Ford’s Colony. Throughout the community are over 10 miles of paved walking, jogging, and biking paths, a picturesque nature trail with a bird-watching tower, playgrounds, and plenty of wide open spaces.
For serious anglers and fishing enthusiasts, Ford’s Colony features more than 40 water retention ponds throughout the community, all of them stocked with an abundance of carp, bream, and largemouth bass available for catch-and-release fishing.
Approximately 200 acres of Ford’s Colony are dedicated to the preservation of local wildlife such as squirrels, wild turkeys, whitetail deer, and groundhogs. Bird watchers will be thrilled to know that the gated community is also acknowledged as a bird sanctuary home to a lively population of eagles, ospreys, warblers, woodpeckers, herons, and other fascinating avian species.
Avid players and golf enthusiasts can perfect their swing and enjoy a world-class golfing experience at Ford’s Colony Country Club’s three distinct championship courses, all masterfully designed by renowned course architect Dan Maples.
The semi-private golf club features 54 holes of championship golf, with each course bringing a unique set of highlights and challenges catered to all skill levels. Ford’s Colony Country Club also offers a comprehensive golf program consisting of an in-house golf academy, a lineup of tournaments and events year-round, and a fully stocked pro shop, making it Virginia’s premier golf destination.
Here’s an overview of Ford’s Colony Country Club’s three courses:
- Blue Heron – Opened in 1999, Blue Heron is the longest of all three courses, featuring a continuous 18 highlighted by challenging par 3s and 5s across scenic fairways carved from serene wetlands home to a diverse variety of wildlife. The course has Champion Bermuda grass greens, ensuring consistently smooth putting surfaces throughout the year.
- Blackheath – Opened in its current form in 1999, the stunning Blackheath course is highlighted by generous undulating fairways and an abundance of tranquil water features, providing a scenic and highly enjoyable playing experience for golfers. All greens are surrounded by bunkers and well-placed water features come into play on most holes, requiring precision and strategy at every approach. Blackheath is the only Ford’s Colony golf course that plays to a par 71.
- Marsh Hawk – Opened in 1985, the picturesque Marsh Hawk is a traditional tree-lined course offering an outstanding playing experience with its narrow fairways, strategically placed bunkers, elevation changes, and natural lakes. The course has played host to several acclaimed tournaments and qualifiers including the ’98 and ’99 Virginia State Open, the Henrico County Open, and the PGA Tour’s Michelob Championship.
Another highlight of living at Ford’s Colony is the warm and close-knit community atmosphere. This is thanks to a diverse assortment of social clubs and special interest organizations that cater to all age groups.
At the moment, there are currently over 60 active clubs and organized events for activities in Ford’s Colony. These include:
- Bird watching
- Fly fishing
- Railway modeling
For a complete list of clubs, programs, and activities offered at Ford’s Colony, visit this page.
Beyond Ford’s Colony, a myriad of attractions and activities await.
101 Visitor Center Drive
Williamsburg, VA 23185(888) 965-7254
Take a step back in time by visiting 18th-century Colonial Williamsburg, the largest living history museum in the world. Encompassing over 300 acres, this incredible destination features iconic sites, historic taverns, working tradespeople, and two renowned art museums.
2110 Jamestown Road, Route 31 S., Williamsburg, VA
Get a glimpse of life in the country’s first permanent English colony by visiting Jamestown Settlement, a living history museum centered on 17th-century Virginia history and culture.
Retrace the steps of America’s early days through gallery exhibits, films, and a variety of outdoor living history displays. Along the way, you’ll learn about the Virginia Native Americans’ way of life, the arrival of English colonists in 1607, and other historic encounters and cultural events that formed the foundations of a new nation.
Purchase tickets to Jamestown Settlement by visiting this page.
176 Water Country Parkway, Williamsburg, VA
Located about 20 minutes east of Ford’s Colony, Water Country USA is the Mid-Atlantic’s largest water park. The park features a vintage 60s-style surf theme and a dazzling array of water rides, live entertainment performances, shops and restaurants, and other family-friendly attractions.
Water Country USA operates on a seasonal schedule. See the park’s calendar for updated information on current park operations.
Busch Gardens Boulevard, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Treat the family to a fun-filled day at Busch Gardens, a sprawling 422-acre European-themed amusement park featuring spectacular Broadway-style shows, delightful culinary experiences, and more than 50 rides and attractions including the Pantheon, the world’s fastest multi-launch roller coaster.
Busch Gardens has consistently ranked among the “World’s Most Beautiful Amusement Parks” every year since its opening in 1990. For tickets and other information, visit this page.
Ford’s Colony residents can indulge in a first-class culinary experience by checking out top-rated restaurants located minutes away from the community, such as:
5143 Main Street, Williamsburg, VA 23188(757) 645-4779
Located in New Town Center, Opus 9 Steakhouse offers a mouthwatering selection of perfectly aged prime steaks like New York strip au poivre, bone-in-filet mignon, and their signature Oscar 9 steak, all meticulously prepared and served to your specifications.
In addition to their melt-in-your-mouth steaks, they also offer a variety of delicious seafood options including daily fresh fish specials, live Maine lobster, and their award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes.
2021-D Richmond Road Williamsburg, VA(757) 229-5252
Open since 1974, Anna’s Brick Oven is a family-owned and run casual pizzeria serving a wide variety of authentic Italian specialties including brick oven pizza, veal, chicken, pasta, and seafood dishes, together with an assortment of enticing appetizers.
This is one of the best spots in Williamsburg if you’re craving pizza – their made-from-scratch brick oven pizzas are absolutely to die for! While everything on their menu is worth a try, be sure to try their exceptional “mira mare,” a truly delectable pizza made with fresh mozzarella drizzled with olive oil and topped with shrimp, scallops, garlic, tomatoes, and spinach.
- Le Yaca
1430 High St, Williamsburg, VA 23188(757) 220-3616
Le Yaca features the finest in French dining, offering a curated menu of simple yet sophisticated dishes made with high-quality ingredients. Among their top dishes include their grilled Berkshire pork tenderloin, pan-seared chicken scallopini, diver sea scallops, and their signature puree mountain-style onion soup.
4854 Longhill Road, Suite 16, Williamsburg, VA(757) 378-0446
A favorite dining destination among locals and tourists, Tuscany Ristorante is an upscale fine dining Italian restaurant offering a delightful menu of authentic Italian fare including pizzas, sandwiches, salads, pasta, and a variety of unique house specialties.
All of their dishes are made to order. Tuscany Ristorante’s experienced chefs craft each dish from scratch, with every sauce and ingredient prepared and made on-site right after you place an order.
FIND YOUR HOME IN FORD’S COLONY TODAY
Find your dream home in Ford’s Colony today by working with us at Coldwell Banker Traditions, your local real estate experts in Williamsburg, VA. You can count on our experience and in-depth knowledge of the market to make your search for the perfect home seamless and stress-free.